Wyświetlanie treści

  • Black/White
  • White/Black
  • Yellow/Blue
  • Standard

Current Style: Standard

History of the town

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: access in _menu_translate() (line 778 of /home/platne/serwer14348/public_html/lubliniecturystycznie.pl/includes/menu.inc).
  • Notice: Undefined index: access in _menu_translate() (line 778 of /home/platne/serwer14348/public_html/lubliniecturystycznie.pl/includes/menu.inc).
  • Notice: Undefined index: access in menu_local_tasks() (line 1892 of /home/platne/serwer14348/public_html/lubliniecturystycznie.pl/includes/menu.inc).
  • Notice: Undefined index: access in menu_local_tasks() (line 1892 of /home/platne/serwer14348/public_html/lubliniecturystycznie.pl/includes/menu.inc).
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Lubliniec started with a hunting castle and a chapel, built around 1272 by Duke Władysław Opolski. During the reign of Bolesław Opolski (1281-1313) the settlement was awarded civic rights. The town, located on the route from Siewierz to Olesno, maintained active trading relationships, acting as a trading intermediary between Małopolska and Silesia. It also obtained the exclusive privilege if brewing beer for the local community within the radius of 1 mile (about 7 km). The development of the town sped up with new privileges awarded in 1500 by Jan Opolski. The duke decreed then that the local inns could sell only the beer from Lubliniec, allowed to hold weekly markets and two cattle markets a year, donated the village of Steblów to the town and permitted handicraftsmen to settle in the town. Of major importance for Lubliniec was the agreement of 1776 with count von Schlegendorf pursuant to which the town acquired a forest of some 1300 ha, that provided wood for the inhabitants and also became a place of recreation. In 1812 the owner of the Lubliniec estate Franciszek Grotowski bequeathed his property to establish an orphanage, regardless of the orphans' origin or religion.

Mapa miasta Lublińca z 1852 roku

Grotowski died childless two years later, his wife died in 1826 and in 1832 the Lubliniec estate was sold to count Renard in order to acquire funds to build the orphanage. The construction began in 1843 and a ceremonious opening of the institution was held in the autumn of 1848. By the beginning of the 20th century, the institution raised about 900 persons many of whom elected later to become teachers. In 1893 the authorities of the Silesian province pur-chased also the former castle of Lubliniec and asset up a hospital for the poor for 340 beds. In 1895-1896 the hospital was converted into a psychiatric institution that exists till this very day. In the later decades the development of the town was driven by development of railways, accompanied by trade, handicraft and small industry. In the years between World War I and II, a town slaughterhouse was built; the local power station was recon-structed. There were industrial plants dating back to days before World War I: wool spinning mill (owned by ”Union Textile” from Częstochowa), steam sawmill, a small factory of farming machines and a foundry owned by Piotr Szwarc. 74th Upper Silesia Infantry Regiment was stationed in Lubliniec that played an out-standing role in the defence war of 1939.

The Courant's tenement house is located nearby the market square. It was erected after 1857 by a Jew, Salomon Courant a merchant of Lubliniec and a grandfather of Edith Stein born in Breslau. In her childhood Edith Stein, who as a Carmelite, Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, outstanding philosopher and educator, and a victim of the death camp in Auschwitz was canonized by the pope John Paul II, spent her holidays with her relatives in Lubliniec. In 1988 the first exhibition devoted to the Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross was opened in the tenement house now owned by Ullmann family, and later extended. In 2002 due to poor condition of the building the exhibition was moved to the Saint Edith Stein School Complex of Catholic Association of Educators.Several years ago authorities of Lubliniec made efforts to give the patronage of Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross to the town of Lubliniec. The efforts were crowned by the declaration of the year 2008 to be the year of Edith Stein in Lubliniec and the ceremony of the patronage announcement on 11 October 2008. On 28 February 2009 after a complete refurbishment of the Courant's tenement house “Pro Memoria Edith Stein” Museum was opened inside featuring a modern, multimedia exhibition and a modern decor which is to convey the timeless message of the Saint Teresa Benedicta to the next generations.

RynekKlasztor O. OblatówDworzec kolejowyRynekZamek LublinieckiKościół św.AnnyUrząd MiastaDworzec kolejowyul. Lompy
Urząd MiastaMapa miasta Lublińca z 1852 roku